The Birtley community enjoys raising funds for various charities throughout the year which helps maintain interest in the world outside Birtley House, and is something which both Residents in long term care, people on respite care stays at the nursing home will have done throughout their lives.
Birtley House Community Fund
Fundraising activities and events vary but usually include at least holding a Macmillan Coffee Morning (our latest in September 2018 raised a spectacular £1850), selling Poppies in aid of the Royal British Legion, selling Christmas cards (often in aid of CICRA – Chrohn’s in Childhood Research Association) and previously filling shoe-boxes with Christmas gifts for children in other countries, in December 2018 however, we changed this and chose to donate more locally to the foodbank at St Marks Church in Godalming.
In 2007 we launched the Birtley House Community Fund which is administered by the Community Foundation for Surrey. Through funds raised we are able to help support various local community projects and charities such as the halow project and Horatio’s Garden. We tend to support projects which fall into one of the following categories:
- Supporting local community activities with a preference for projects supporting rural/village communities.
- Improving facilities, services and activities for older people
- Providing training, development and intergenerational learning opportunities for local people
- Environmental – Projects which conserve or improve the wildlife value of Surrey or which improves community access to and awareness of the environment
- Charities which help to enrich the life and well being of our staff